Class: students worked on drawing Figure 23 on page 170 and 171 as a review of plate boundaries and plate tectonics / students worked on Chapter 5 Vocabulary/Definitions / I handed back graded Density of Liquids Lab Sheets and passed out Progress Reports
1. Get your progress report signed! Due tomorrow. Make up or turn in any work that you have a zero on.
2. FInish your Figure 23 Drawing. Most students finished this in class.
3. Finish providing the words and simple drawings for the 34 definitions I gave you today. Due tomorrow. Some students are choosing to make Flash Cards instead which is fine by me. The only part of the flash card that is due tomorrow is the word and simple drawing.
4. Make sure you graded your Types of Plate Boundaries in class today. If you did not see my answers below to grade yours.
Class: students received their graded Earth's Layers Quiz back; students viewed a power point on types of boundaries and geologic events and features that occur at those boundaries. Students collaborated and worked on completing a chart called Types of Plate Boundaries
1. Finish entire chart called Types of Plate Boundaries-- use my power point (attached and the same two websites we used on Mon and Tue of this week. www.learner.org/interactives/dynamicearth/plate.html
2. Organize your binder. We are on assignment # 35.
Class: we went over answers to Lithospheric Plates / discussed formation of Cascade Range / Events occurring at Mid-Atlantic Ridge and cause of earthquakes at San Andres Fault / students discussed prefixes that we have used so far in Science class this year.
1. Complete SLIP, SLIDE and COLLIDE ACTIVITIES ---read all information, view animations closely, roll over key words to see definitions, complete the PLATE INTERACTIONS CHALLENGE www.learner.org/interactives/dynamicearth/slip.html (Use Mozilla Firefox for the above website.)
2. Make sure you are finished with all parts of your Lithosphere sheet 1-5.
3. Organize your Science Binder....see attached table of contents
Class: went over expectations for Pangaea Puzzle / added finishing touches to puzzle / worked on Lithospheric Plates assignment
1. Finish all of #1 and #2 a-e on the Lithospheric Plates assignment--most students finished 1 and half of 2 a-c in class.
2. Make sure you finish the Pangaea Puzzle & Explanation. Read and follow all directions. This was due today. Turn it into me tomorrow if you did not turn it into me today!
Class: earth layer quiz / students finished nearpod lesson on convection / students worked on "Comparing a Lava Lamp to the Asthenosphere"
1. Finish watching the video called "How do they work-Lava Lamps"
2. Finish the worksheet called "Comparing a Lava Lamp to the Asthenosphere"
3. Grade your "Sink of Float" worksheet. Make corrections in red ink.
Class: we finished going over answers to the Density of Liquids Lab / we went over Ch 5 answers 8-10. Students worked on a Nearpod activity on Convection and some students completed the 3 online quizzes for earth layers.
1. Finish the 3 online quizzes related to earth layers. They will help you prepare for the quiz you will have on Monday.
2. Study assignments in your notebook related to earth layers. You will have a quiz on Monday only over earth layers. Study assignment # 11 (puzzle) and know how to label the diagrams on assignment # 13 (Earth's Interior) and # 17 (Earth layer "pie piece")
Class: we went over answers to Density of Liquids Lab (front page) / we discussed how to find density of a liquid / students worked on Nearpod / students worked on Sink or Float worksheet.
1. Finish Sink or Float worksheet.
2. Finish Chapter 5 Questions 22-27 tonight.
3. Make sure you have graded your Density of Liquids Lab Sheet (attached yesterday). I will collect and grade this tomorrow.
Class: we went over Density Notes as a class and how to calculate density / students worked on a Density Lesson in Nearpod (nearpod.com/student/). Many students finished the lesson in class and started reading the Four Layers article found in Google Classroom.
class codes to join the lesson:
1st period = YGIFH / 3rd Period = YITGF / 4th Period = MASJH / 6th Period = BVGNH
1. Grade your Density of Liquids Lab Sheet. If you got something incorrect, please change your answer to the correct answer. Your answers do not have to be exactly like mine just somewhat similar. Answers are attached below.
2. Read the article called The Four Layers (attached below and in Google classroom)
3. Last Friday, July 28 we watched a Brain Pop called Plate Tectonics and you took the quiz. If you scored below an 80 on the quiz, I want you to rewatch the movie and retake the quiz. Put your answers on notebook paper and turn it into me by Friday.
Class: students experimented today with the 4 different liquids and are relating what they learn to the layers of the earth.
1. Finish the entire lab sheet called "Density of Liquids" (front and back)--due tomorrow.
Class: went over answers to Scientific Method worksheet (#19) / went over answers to Plate Tectonics Brain Pop Quiz (# 23) / we started Density of Liquids Lab / (students should be finished with questions 1-7 on their lab sheet by now)
1. Finish questions 1-7 on your DENSITY OF LIQUIDS LAB SHEET if you did not finish it in class today. Lab sheet can be found in the Google Classroom and attached below.
2. Finish Chapter 5 Plate Tectonics Questions 16-21 tonight.
3. Bring a plastic bag (sandwhich or quart size) to class tomorrow so you can carry home a plastic test tube for exerimentation at home if you want.