Class: today students joined their Science Period Google Classroom / we watched a Brain Pop called Plate Tectonics and students took the Brain Pop Plate Tectonic Quiz as a group / students read over the Density of Liquids Lab Sheet that is posted in the Google Classroom.
1. Join the Google Classroom for your Science Period.
Period 1 -- Class Code is: lbaxny1
Period 3-- Class Code is: zxbc3dk
Period 4-- Class Code is: slfmu86
Period 6-- Class Code is: 70n9js5
2. Make sure you have read over the Density of Liquids Lab Sheet
3. Make sure you are finished with Ch 5 Questions 1-15.
4. Make sure you are ready to turn in your Plate Tectonic Brain Pop Quiz answers on Monday. You are welcome to rewatch the video and take the review quiz to check your answers before turning them in on Monday.
Class: we went over Scientific Method steps / we watched a Bill Nye video that covered plate tectonics, volcanism and earthquakes / handed out a Grade Sheet and explained it. Students recorded the 6 grades they have so far for Science.
HOMEWORK: none --- we hope to see parents tonight at Open House
Class: we discussed results of Save Fred Lab / students collaborated to come up with steps that scientists use to solve problems (Scientific Method) / watched BrainPop on Scientific Method
1. Re-watch the Scientific Method Brain Pop if you need to.
www.brainpop.com / username = wlms / password = westlake
2. Take the REVIEW QUIZ for the Scientific Method Brain Pop. Don't forget to record all attempts for your answers and facts if you don't get the question right on the first try. Be honest. Show your Wildcat Integrity.
3. Make sure your Science binder is organized! See Table of Contents attached below.
Class: students colored a layered earth with the asthenosphere and lithosphere; students graded their mimosa observations to determine whether they were an expert observer; students worked in pairs on an activity called Save Fred.
Class: went outside to observe mimosa tree while in bloom / we will be studying this tree throughout the year / students worked on earth layer foldable with my guidance
Info on Mimosa Tree--www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/summer-color-mimosa-tree
1. Finish the foldable on earth layers....don't forget to add the extra interesting facts (see the example attached below for guidance)
Some students finished the foldable class...if students want to work ahead they can work on the Chapter 5 Questions.
Class: students learned how to measure in centimeters / worked on Earth's Layers Foldable --see attached documents below
Class: reviewed differences in Continental Crust and Oceanic Crust / students worked on Earth's Interior Diagram and Info Chart (see attachment below) / 1st and 3rd periods got their Lab Safety Quiz back. Students corrected their quizzes.
Class: we graded earth layer puzzles / students collaborated on differences between continental crust and oceanic crust as well as the differences between Granite and Basalt. Students observed Basalt and Granite rock.
1. Do research on Granite and Basalt. Add 3 new facts to your chart for each rock.
2. Chapter 5 Plate Tectonic Questions --answer questions 14 and 15 tonight.
Creative Connection- Electromagnet due Mon, July 24--optional (see July 18 post for directions)
Class: we went over homework answers to Ch 5 Questions 1-7 / I demonstrated an electromagnet to show why the earth has a magnetic field / students worked on the EARTH LAYER PUZZLE (most students completed the puzzle in class)
CREATIVE CONNECTIONS--build a working electromagnet; bring it to school; explain on a piece of paper how the electromagnet relates to the layers of the earth and the earth's magnetic field. Due Monday, July 24
Class: students took lab safety quiz then worked on Layers of Earth worksheet and Chapter 5 Questions. Many students finished what was assigned for homework in class today.
1. Finish Layers of Earth worksheet if you did not finish it in class today (excellent website attached below to help you with the chart. See Friday's post for the worksheet)
2. Finish Chapter 5 Questions 6-7 if you did not finish it in class today